Friday, March 7, 2014

The Game

I had a dream about you and I
We were playing a game.
I was walking ahead of you
on a Main Street on a long hill
that always curved to the left,
so one could not see around the corners.
The goal was for us to meet.

Like most dreams
this one was full of illogical rules
and they were followed to illogical ends.
I could stop, or turn into a store
on the left side of the street,
but I could not turn back.
You were behind me somewhere,
but I couldn't see very far 
because of the curve in the street,
and I didn't know if we’d agreed
that you could stop
or turn around.
This made me anxious.
All I could do was continue living my life

and hope you were still playing the game.

Of course when I woke up I realized 
this wasn't much of a life,
nor much of a game.
I rolled out of bed for a cigarette
and sat on the balcony.
I picked up my journal
to write something down
and realized I could have left notes 
for you to find on the street.
I could have told you where to meet me,
and slept there without fear of missing you walk by.
I could have encouraged you to find me,
told you I loved you, 
and if it was too long,
I could have told you 
I quit.

Of course, I'd never know 
if you'd read what I'd written.
But it's tough to play
with someone you've hurt.



1 comment:

lk227500 said...

There is no one at this time of my life that gives me more pleasure in reading than Patrick Sugrue..My frame of reference has to be taken seriously since, in the matter of age, I'm on the far turn. His output is prodigious, each new astounding piece raising the question--is it his diet? Is he on drugs?--Are there several using the nom de plume, Patrick Sugrue. Whatever. The answer is unimportant. The next piece is. It gives me the impetus to stick around.