Sunday, September 22, 2013

Sunday

once outside a ballpark
a boy knocked me out cold.
i was very well drunk and
when i found my legs i staggered
forward and pleaded with the boy’s
father for some sort
of recompense.
it was a cheap shot,
but he was just a boy.
‘look at my goddamn lip!' i yelled.
i expected the father
to admonish his son
or offer an apology
but he didn’t even turn around.
he looked like a boxer's trainer,
bent over, rubbing the fighter's
biceps and shoulders,
quietly repeating some mantra
to prepare for the next round.
they had
forgotten about me.
there were fireworks 
above.
i stood
in the middle of all the strolling
people, tasting blood
and thinking of what to do.
i knew i could take the father.
his back was turned.
and the son would break
when he saw his father hit the sidewalk.
i thought about this,
and i still do,
but by the time
i made up my mind
i’d lost them on the train platform.



No comments: