Friday, March 16, 2012

Grandpa

Grandpa worked in a Cleveland airport for thirty eight years as a vender selling hot dogs.  He said people at the airport dressed like they were going to a wedding and that maybe they were.  He called work “people watching”.  He said these things to his grandkids and his dogs.  Sometimes his dogs died, so he would leave a steak out by the back door, wait for a stray and catch it, yanking a rope tied to the gate.  Sometimes he’d catch the mailman or milkman as a joke.

I sat on the front porch once, on a dirt grained board that creaked.  He spoke up suddenly and said, “I don’t like people to watch me shit.”  I looked around, the pines and the pond suddenly looking out of place.  “In the war I shit in a hole for three years until I got hit.  Then I shit in a bowl.”  He creaked back in his seat, eyes slits to the sun.  I saw the Philippines, how he might have looked at the water.

My mom walked out with a small box full of things:  a welcome mat with pine trees, little bears, wolves and deer, his old coffee tin.  Then we took him to the home.

2 comments:

Gabriella Bertrand said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. I enjoyed the quirky descriptions of the grandpa; perhaps try expanding upon his quirky descriptions more. I also enjoyed the switch from second person to first person; it was surprisingly a smooth transition. Another thing I truly enjoyed was the ending; it shocked me and I thought it was a great ending. My only suggestion would be to try and expand upon the grandpa's odd tendencies.

Kylee McIntyre said...

You painted a vivid character through someone else's eyes. Your description of each moment is short but to the point. You allow content to carry the image. I like the way you dealt with time, too. You start at this point in the past and then branch backward in the past and forward at the same time. Then, you draw to a more present moment. This might be kind of weird, but think about adding another point in the past? I'd love if you played around with the time some more.